Week 14 was back and fourth from service provider getting the CNC organised. Emails to and from the group. (As seen on Paniti’s final blog posts)
The starting date from 1st of June 2017 to the 16th June 2017 we had:
1. Drawing for CNC cut
2. Organised cutting with service provider
3. Inability to complete task by service provider
4. Refund organised and completed.
This whole situation had left the group quite stressed as it is very late in the process and we still didn’t have our structure organised or close to completion. There is nothing you can do when trying to organise things like this, so we got started immediately with the self-cut process.
We had gone to Bunnings, picked up 5mm perspex, router bits, Araldite, sandpaper, and other materials that lead to the completion of the work. This was then cut, sanded, cleaned, and placed together into a structure that represented all 3 of us as a group.
After this long, arduous process, we then had to wait 24 hours for the Araldite to adhere to the few pieces we decided to connect. The next day we went out and photographed this structure in a number of different locations that were from our Instagram pages. This looked best when the structure was illuminated and at night time, as opposed to left clear during the day. Due to the fact that some of these locations on our pages were international and houses, we couldn’t just go there and get the piece photographed. So we had to make do with some locations being randomized around the Wollongong area.
After these photos were taken (over 200 of them) we sifted through and chose the best ones that we could present on the wall behind our illuminated structure. We decided to run with 36 images as it was 12 images each group member and this number was divisible by 3. We really wanted to push the concept of 3 throughout the project and to have a data representation that was each group member that, again, attached to our original inspiration of ‘FACETS’. This was all quite difficult but the final project had come out really well. With all of the stress and issues that we had, and considering how late we were in the game of completion, we are happy with how it turned out, and our aesthetic form was very close to what we wanted to complete from week 9.
Final setup without illumination
Structure illuminated with LED torches, we decided that this lighting idea was more successful especially when placed on a stand that we have built out of wood and sprayed black, the light didn’t stray from the structure as much as we expected and illuminated successfully. Very happy with this decision and it is a very clean set up.
Final submission and what the project looked like. The physical structure sitting in front of its photoshoot on the wall from all different locations.